The Hidden Tribe
Meaning: The released
Introduction: This vintage piece is a testament to the Zayane weaving style. A very intricate design full of local elements and berber symbology. Most of the Hanbels are heavy pieces and it’s very rare to stumble upon a small one. This traditional- almost christmasy- piece can go on a wall to lighten up the mood of a room, over a couch, or as a statement piece for a hallway entrance.It’s design is perfect for people looking for symmetrical pieces for their space.
- Origin: Zayane Rug.
- Weaving Method: In order to make a Hanbel, the weaver has to use the flat-weaving for the field and the knotted-weaving for the decorative symbols.
Flat weave involves strands of weft yarn laced in and out of the warp threads and beaten down to make a close, even textile. This technique was widely used for the rugs of the hot lowland and desert areas of Morocco. There are no knots, so flat-weave rugs lay thinner than pile carpet but may feature very intricate designs. Stripes and chevrons are common designs, but fine weavers create rugs that almost resemble tapestries in their complexity. The patterns can be varied with the addition of knotted or embroidered sections, and colors range from vivid hues to undyed natural whites, off-whites, grays, browns and blacks.
- Colors: Red, Green, Off white, Burgundy and Black
- Outlining the carpet: Male elements: straight lines suggesting protection of the female elements taking center stage.
- The diamonds (female element synonym of women’s uterus and fertility) are made of little diamonds and hatched lines. The hatched lines are male elements symbolizing man’s virility.
- From the bottom of the carpet to the top, the diamonds keep expanding, suggesting the evolvement of the woman's pregnancy.
- The X signs surrounded by four little squares, at the top of the carpet, are a representation of the new born.
- The teal double-frame surrounding the female elements, is a male element added to the Hanbel for extra-protection.
- Knot style: Symmetric
- Wool velvet: Orange
- Fringe: Thick, plaited and stopped by a simple knot
- Material: Berber Wool
- Wrap: Red
- Weft: Red
- Pile Knotted Decorations: Red, Green, White, and Black
- Bottom end: Finished by an assemblage of threads into braided fringes and a horizontal black thread (chevron style).
- Top end: Finished by an assemblage of threads into braided fringes and a horizontal black thread (chevron style).
- Decor ideas: This is what we call a "Conversation Piece", it can be used as a rug as well as a wall art. The sequins will reflect the light from those candles during a romantic dinner and the color splash adds an eclectic and classy feel to any space.
- Dimensions: 2.81m X 1.32m , 9'2" X 4'3".
Care and Cleaning:
The kind of rug (Flat-weave, Knotted…etc)
The foot traffic
The rugs placement (Floor, sofa, or wall)