The Hidden Tribe
Introduction: This piece is a testament to the Beni Ourain Flat-Weaving style. A very intricate design full of local elements and berber symbology. Most of the Hanbels are heavy pieces and it’s very rare to stumble upon these light ones. Most Beni Ourain rugs are Pile knotted rugs, it's very rare to come upon fast-weaved ones such as this one. This piece can go on a wall to lighten up the mood of a room, over a couch, or as a statement piece for a hallway entrance.It’s design is perfect for people looking for symmetrical pieces for their space.
- Origin: Beni Ourain.
- Weaving Method: In order to make a Hanbel, the weaver has to use the flat-weaving for the field and the knotted-weaving for the decorative symbols.
Flat weave involves strands of weft yarn laced in and out of the warp threads and beaten down to make a close, even textile. This technique was widely used for the rugs of the hot lowland and desert areas of Morocco. There are no knots, so flat-weave rugs lay thinner than pile carpet but may feature very intricate designs. Stripes and chevrons are common designs, but fine weavers create rugs that almost resemble tapestries in their complexity. The patterns can be varied with the addition of knotted or embroidered sections, and colors range from vivid hues to undyed natural whites, off-whites, grays, browns and blacks.
- Colors: Off white, Burgundy and Black
- Outlining the carpet: Male elements: straight lines suggesting protection of the female elements taking center stage.
- The diamonds (female element synonym of women’s uterus and fertility) are made of little diamonds and hatched lines. The hatched lines are male elements symbolizing man’s virility.
- Knot style: Symmetric
- Wool velvet: Off-White
- Fringe: Thick, plaited and stopped by a simple knot
- Material: Berber Wool
- Wrap: Off-White
- Weft: Off-white and Black
- Pile Knotted Decorations: White, Burgundy, and Black
- Bottom end: Finished by an assemblage of threads into braided fringes and a horizontal Off-White thread (chevron style).
- Top end: Finished by an assemblage of threads into braided fringes and a horizontal Off-White thread (chevron style).
- Decor ideas: This is what we call a "Conversation Piece", it can be used as a rug as well as a wall art. An eclectic and classy piece of art.
- Dimensions: 2.06m X 1.03m , 6'8" X 3'4".
Care and Cleaning:
The kind of rug (Flat-weave, Knotted…etc)
The foot traffic
The rugs placement (Floor, sofa, or wall)