The Hidden Tribe
Meaning: Something good
Dimension: 1.60m X 0.96m - 5'0" X 3'1"
- Type: Super soft chenille Moroccan rug with little fringes on one end. This light-weight piece is perfect for an entryway or draped over a bed or sofa. Also makes a stunning wall hanging! This item is made with chenille. Chenille fabric has a velvet feel.
- Origin: Mrirt region.
- Technique: This rug is woven in the flatweave style using a wooden vertical loom. The motifs are sewn in after the carpet is made.
Flat weave involves strands of weft yarn laced in and out of the warp threads and beaten down to make a close, even textile. This technique was widely used for the rugs of the hot lowland and desert areas of Morocco. There are no knots, so flat-weave rugs lay thinner than pile carpet but may feature very intricate designs. Stripes and chevrons are common designs, but fine weavers create rugs that almost resemble tapestries in their complexity. The patterns can be varied with the addition of knotted or embroidered sections, and colors range from vivid hues to undyed natural whites, off-whites, grays, browns and blacks.
- Decoration: Burgundy monochrome field, multicolor motifs. White border.
- Symbology: The Bajaadia is a free spirit work of art, the weavers in this ones tend to follow a certain symmetrical design using the berber symbols sporadically without a clear intention to express something related to their fertility or pregnancy. They are fun pieces instead of practical which is the case of most of the Berber rugs.
- Knot style: Symmetric
- Wool velvet: Burgundy
- Fringe: Thin, short and plaited.
- Material: Chenille
- Wrap: Burgundy
- Weft: Burgundyfor the field, White for the main border.
- Bottom end: stopped by a horizontal white braid (chevron effect)
- Top end: Finished by an assemblage of threads into braided fringes and a horizontal Burgundy thread (chevron style).
Care and Cleaning:
The kind of rug (Flat-weave, Knotted…etc)
The foot traffic
The rugs placement (Floor, sofa, or wall)