The Hidden Tribe
Meaning: The brother
Category: Zayane Rug
Origin: This exceptional piece belongs to Bni Mguild, a tribe nested the Middle Atlas.
Weaving Method: In order to to make a Hanbel, the weaver has to use the falt-weaving for the background and the knotted for the decorative symbols.
Flat weave involves strands of weft yarn laced in and out of the warp threads and beaten down to make a close, even textile. This technique was widely used for the rugs of the hot lowland and desert areas of Morocco. There are no knots, so flat-weave rugs lay thinner than pile carpet but may feature very intricate designs. Stripes and chevrons are common designs, but fine weavers create rugs that almost resemble tapestries in their complexity. The patterns can be varied with the addition of knotted or embroidered sections, and colors range from vivid hues to undyed natural whites, off-whites, grays, browns and blacks.
Colors: Green, White, Red, Blue, and Yellow.
Material: Berber Wool and cotton.
- The weaver ,in this case, used the in-relief technique for the male elements: The yellow motifs (ladders) are made so to surround all the female stripes giving the impression of three dimensional protection and a certain coziness and warmth.
- The female stripes are made of diamonds (female element synonym of women’s uterus and fertility) and hatched lines. The hatched lines are male elements symbolizing man’s virility.
- The entire carpet is decorated with sequins, which are known in the Amazigh cultural to reflect the evil eye back to whoever wishes the couple harm.
- Knot style: Symmetric
- Fringe: None
- Material: Berber Wool
- Wrap: Red
- Weft: Green, White, Red, Blue, and Yellow.
- Pile Knotted Decorations: Green, White, Red, Blue, and Yellow.
- Bottom end: Finished by a horizontal red thread (chevron style).
- Top end: Finished by a horizontal red thread (chevron style).
- Decor ideas: This is what we call a "Conversation Piece", it can be used as a rug as well as a wall art. The sequins will reflect the light from those candles during a romantic dinner and the color splash adds an eclectic and classy feel to any space.
Care and Cleaning:
The kind of rug (Flat-weave, Knotted…etc)
The foot traffic
The rugs placement (Floor, sofa, or wall)
Dimensions: 3.22m 1.82m