The Hidden Tribe
Meaning: More beautiful than the stars
Category: Ait A’Atta Grain Bag. Grain bags are used to store and transport grains. They need to be able to withhold the weight of the grains and protect them from harsh conditions. When the need manifests, the family opens the bag and uses it for cover during winter time.
Weaving Method: In order to make a Hanbel, the weaver has to use the falt-weaving for the background and the knotted for the decorative symbols.
Flat weave involves strands of weft yarn laced in and out of the warp threads and beaten down to make a close, even textile. This technique was widely used for the rugs of the hot lowland and desert areas of Morocco. There are no knots, so flat-weave rugs lay thinner than pile carpet but may feature very intricate designs. Stripes and chevrons are common designs, but fine weavers create rugs that almost resemble tapestries in their complexity. The patterns can be varied with the addition of knotted or embroidered sections, and colors range from vivid hues to undyed natural whites, off-whites, grays, browns and blacks.
Colors: Gray, Brown, Black, Orange, Green, Red, and Yellow.
Material: Berber Wool.
- The back side of the grain bag: Male elements: straight lines suggesting protection for the female elements decorating the front side.
- The front side of the grain bag: mainly made of the Hamsa/Camel foot print sign, a sign used to keep the evil eye away. Since this is a grain bag, the main intention here is to protect the family's harvest from the prying eyes.
- Knot style: Symmetric
- Material: Berber Wool
- Wrap: White
- Weft: Gray, Brown, Black, Orange, Green, Red, and Yellow
- Pile Knotted Decorations: Gray, Brown, Black, Orange, Green, Red, and Yellow
- Bottom end: Finished by a horizontal white thread (chevron style).
- Top end: Finished by a horizontal white thread (chevron style).
- Decor ideas: This is what we call a "Eclectic Piece", it can be used as a rug, a sofa cover as well as a wall art.
Care and Cleaning:
The kind of rug (Flat-weave, Knotted…etc)
The foot traffic
The rugs placement (Floor, sofa, or wall)
Dimensions: 2.64m 1.66m