The Hidden Tribe
Meaning: The most beautiful
Category: Ben M’Guild Rug
Weaving Method: In order to to make a Hanbel, the weaver has to use the falt-weaving for the background and the knotted for the decorative symbols.
Flat weave involves strands of weft yarn laced in and out of the warp threads and beaten down to make a close, even textile. This technique was widely used for the rugs of the hot lowland and desert areas of Morocco. There are no knots, so flat-weave rugs lay thinner than pile carpet but may feature very intricate designs. Stripes and chevrons are common designs, but fine weavers create rugs that almost resemble tapestries in their complexity. The patterns can be varied with the addition of knotted or embroidered sections, and colors range from vivid hues to undyed natural whites, off-whites, grays, browns and blacks.
Colors: Green, Red, Yellow, White, and Black.
Material: Berber Wool.
- Alternance of flat woven bands, each band displays feminine elements (Diamonds, half diamonds, procreation motifs...etc) designed using male elements (hatched lines, ladders, straight lines, zigzags...etc)
- Taking center stage, three big diamonds (female element synonym of women’s uterus and fertility) made of little diamonds and hatched lines. The hatched lines are male elements symbolizing man’s virility.
- To each side of the middle band we can see bands made of chaines of the procreation sign: two reversed threes facing each other representing the man and the women during the procreation process. These bands border a chaine of the Hamsa/Camel foot print sign, a sign used for protection from the evil eye.
- At the top-end and bottom-end of the carpet we can see a modified Hamsa sign, where the extremities have been changed into squares which is the sign of a new born,
- Knot style: Symmetric
- Fringe: Thick, plaited and stopped by a simple knot
- Material: Berber Wool
- Wrap: Red
- Weft: Red
- Pile Knotted Decorations: Red, Green, White, and Black
- Bottom end: Finished by an assemblage of threads into braided fringes and a horizontal black thread (chevron style).
- Top end: Finished by an assemblage of threads into braided fringes and a horizontal black thread (chevron style).
- Decor ideas: This is what we call a "Conversation Piece", it can be used as a rug as well as a wall art. The sequins will reflect the light from those candles during a romantic dinner and the color splash adds an eclectic and classy feel to any space.
Care and Cleaning:
The kind of rug (Flat-weave, Knotted…etc)
The foot traffic
The rugs placement (Floor, sofa, or wall)
Dimensions: 3.47m 1.66m