The Hidden Tribe
Meaning: The plains
Category: Vintage Zemmour Hanbel
Weaving Method: Hanbel is made through a flat-weave process whereby the weaver threads the weft back and forth through the wrap until the rug or pillow is finished.
Colors: Red, green, white, and orange.
- Diamond shapes are considered a female element, they represent woman’s womb and a desire for fertility. In this case, they are filled with male elements: hatched lines.
- Straight lines, hatched lines, zigzags, and ladders are considered male elements. They represent the man’s virility and protection.
- This rug starts with several bands made of male elements: chevrons, zigzags and straight lines.
- Surrounding the three sides of the carpet there is a band made of the protective symbol: the Hamsa otherwise known as the camel’s foot imprint.
- Inside the protective frame, there is a diamond’s expansion from the bottom to the top. This is an iconographic metaphor relating the the expansion of the woman’s womb during the pregnancy.
- The weaver also used the edges and surrounding of the diamonds to draw the famous X symbol: representation of how Berber women used to give birth, Hands up, resting on a wire and open legs to give birth.